観音洞窟 Kannon Cave

鋸山の遺跡 Nokogiriyama Heritage Sites

「鋸山」の地質は、褶曲構造(しゅうきょくこうぞう)の向斜(こうしゃ)が特徴です。前方の石切り場跡は、良質な石材を求め、地層に沿って奥に掘り進んでいます。四角い穴の上部には、通常横長に切り出す石が縦長に切り出された痕跡が残っています。これは、垂直な壁面を切り出し始める際にのみ行われる「垣根掘り」という技法であり、熟練者の仕事でした。その下からは、下へ掘り下げる一般的な「平切り」の痕が横縞となって残っています。階段状の掘り残しは、崩落防止とも言われます。壁面には小さな観音様が彫られております。

Nokogiriyama is home to many quarry ruins of various sizes. The quarry industry began in the late Edo period, and at its peak there were roughly thirty operations, making Kanaya a prosperous town of stonemasons. The Stone Stage is the excavation site of the last manufacturer, Yoshikei Shiten owned by the Suzuki Shiroenmon family, which was in operation until 1985. Traces of pickaxes change to traces of chainsaws above the words “Safety First” scrawled on the walls. These markings began at the height of extractions in 1958 when the process was mechanized.